Team Kios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Altaria: An Oasis Forsaken

+4
Derekjay2000
Sammich
keya
ConradCorax
8 posters
Go down
keya
keya

Altaria: An Oasis Forsaken - Page 2 Empty Re: Altaria: An Oasis Forsaken

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:30 pm
-
Scene
-
Milan quickly turned her head at the sudden outburst of noise, which to her joy came from Nathan and Aris.
Perfect, her plan worked.
Being no stranger to the environment, Milan knew the market wasn’t child’s play—even though she was very excited and seemingly overstimulated.
She tried to take a moment for herself by taking a deep breath, but was quickly interrupted by Kaylee’s sudden interest in what seemed to be a technological good.
“Don’t worry, no more stunts.” She shot a sly wink at Nathan before quickly noting what Kaylee wanted, and bee-lined in her direction.
Milan sternly grabbed her arm, and gently pulled her back to the entrance where Nathan and Aris still stood.
“Alright I don’t know why I trust you guys so much, but it seems that I have taken a liking to you all. With that being said, let me explain a few things before we all officially step inside.”

Glancing in everyone’s direction, she made sure everyone was on the same page as she continued. “The market is my favorite place, specifically the midnight market so i’m genuinely excited to have you guys join me.
As we all know, they have tradable items which can really help us out if utilized correctly. But it is also famously dangerous—that is, if you don’t know how to carry yourself. Especially for those who are not accustomed to its culture—but first let me establish myself to you guys so you know i’m not a suspicious person.
The only reason why I am so easily able to come here by myself, is cause I can understand and communicate with all of the vendors here—when you have their trust they have your back.”

Milan proceeded to teach the friends useful words to know from each of the main languages of the market, and how to tell which regions the vendors where from.

“Alrighty! Last few important things. The most important thing you have to do is to look confident. Even if you see a scary looking trader, you won’t get mugged or kidnapped if you look confident. If you hear gunshots, keep going and once again, maintain composure and confidence. That is the only way you can travel safely! Because if there is the off-chance of you getting attacked, the vendors will have your back.
Next, try to stay together—like Nathan said. If we get separated or lost, don’t look panicked, and make your way to the entrance! We will all meet there cause the absolute latest we will stay here is in an hour.
So in a nutshell, if you get lost or separated meet by the entrance in an hour. If not, then great.”

Milan gently smiled, “There are 3 things i’m aiming for tonight. Food for Nathan, Technology for Kaylee, and Literature for Aris. Any questions?!”
Sammich
Sammich

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:30 pm
Aris followed behind at a brisk job, his hand firmly on his satchel as not to lose any of it's precious contents. He kept his mind in a similar vice, whispering the exchanges he'd just experienced under his breath as he jogged after his new muses. If he were to lose his ideas and inspiration before he had a chance to document it... that would be a tragedy.

Finally gaining on his company he allowed himself to show his exhaustion. Breathing heavily, Aris caught the tail end of their conversation, the awe of the market lost to him as he struggled to regain his breath. His attempt at listening was not good enough, but he caught that someone wanted to locate some literature. He recognized her voice form the dark forest, but it was the first time seeing her face in the light. Brows furrowed his suspicions grew, but his eagerness for his goal over came him.

"If you would... actually ma'am, um... other authors works are fine and great, I mean- one must appreciate his peers work and give criticism if honored and asked to give it- but I would much rather... if it not too much trouble... could you help m,e locate some blank paper?" He was smart enough to recognize the demand for something to trade in return.

"I found this earlier..." Aris dug through his bag and retrieved the technical drawing he'd pulled from the rubble. "I don't know what it means though." He said, looking it over once more,. "But it's captivating isn't it?" He whispered, leaning in to show Milan, Nathan and Kaylee.
DannyGirl~
DannyGirl~

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:56 pm
“Hey, give me a second I need-“ Kaylee attempted to protest as her kidnapper once again pulled her away by the arm. Now throughly frustrated, the young woman hugged as Milan explained the plan. First Nathan, and now this chick, it seemed everyone felt the need to babysit her. Regardless of how proficient she obviously was in combat, her size subjected her to unnumbered occasions of belittlement. Finally loosening up at the promise of new tech, the spirited teen slowly nodded in agreement. That, at least, was a sentiment she could get behind.
However her brother didn’t wear the same expression. The comforting offer of food obviously not being enough to fan the flames of his anger. While he seemed smitten with the girl only moments before, Kaylee knew that she’d made a big mistake. You could mess with Nathan as much as you wanted, and he’d likely be too lazy to stop you. However messing with her was another story entirely. He truly was almost obsessively over protective.
Even knowing that, Kaylee kept her mouth shut. So long as he was tolerating the idea, she’d take advantage of the moment. The promise of a mother board, along with a few more chips, causing her joy to soar. She’d finally have everything she needed to start piecing together-
Pausing as Aris spoke up beside her, she finally began to understand his eccentrics. He was an author then. A once thrilling and profound profession, completely shattered under the weight of their current society. When one was constantly struggling to survive, they didn’t have time for a luxury such as reading. She was honestly surprised he found time to write, much less search for paper.
Suddenly a twinkle shimmered within her gaze, her expression flipping to one of delight upon analyzing the scroll he extended. Now this, this was what she needed. “Where did you find this?” A spark of excitement shot through her, just before her gaze turned back to the motherboard. This was really it.
“No!” Snatching the scroll away from him as he proposed to trade it, Kaylee held in protectively against her chest. “I need this! You can’t trade it!”
Finally stepping forward, Nathan sighed. There she went again. Regardless of his mood, he needed to stop her. “Kaylee that’s not yours. Give it back-“
“Shut it, and go get food with your girlfriend!” She cut him off protectively, before taking a step back.
“Oh, so I can have a girlfriend when it benefits you, huh?” He tsked, already mentally done for the day.
“So long as you’re upset with her, sure. At least you’re thinking rationally now.” Kaylee muttered softly before swiftly stuffing the scroll into her backpack. “This is valuable! He doesn’t even understand it!”
“Don’t act like you do either.” Finally Nathan’s anger dissolved, leaving him very, very tired.
“I get enough to use it for my project!”
“Not this again.” He muttered softly, before finally shrugging. “You know what food does sound nice. Sorry man, I’ll find you some paper for that.” Nathan promised, briefly nodding to Aris before going to find something to snack on. It seemed like he had no choice, but to face this place he hated.
keya
keya

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:35 pm
-
Scene
-
Milan smacked her forehead with the palm of her hand.
These siblings were something else.
A slight awkwardness caused an awkward laugh to abruptly escape her lips, as they bantered and ultimately included her in the mix.
She came to a conclusion that the only way to regain composure was to redirect her focus towards the current situation.
“May I?” Milan gently gestured as she reached for the paper from Kaylee’s hands.
She examined it thoroughly, and immediately recognized it as some sort of blueprint.
“Woah I think Kaylee just might be onto something, this is a very valuable piece you’ve stumbled upon Aris! Although, i’m not sure what it contains.
 Kaylee, if you deem it worthy you can keep it.”
She glanced at Nathan (who was now walking towards the entrance) as she said the last sentence, subtly judging him.
 He was totally the foreign dad type, who wouldn’t let his daughter even glance at dudes.
Also, horrible at directions apparently, cause everyone was suppose to stay together.
Milan raised her eyebrows at his negligence but shrugged, cause she didn’t wanna risk pissing the already moody boy off any more than she already had.

Milan redirected her gaze towards Aris and smiled at him, “Give yourself more credit champ, luckily for you I brought a few extra trading materials so you’ll get paper by the time we are outta here.”
-
 As the gang approached the stand with the fancy technology, Milan did her best to communicate with the vendor and was able to successfully obtain Kaylees prized possession, albeit with a lot of bargaining.
It was sort of a shock when she heard the price, she was definitely not expecting the piece to be so valuable, and was able to bargain with only just enough trading material left for one more mid-price item—paper.
 Not gonna lie, she was kind of disappointed, after all she was definitely looking forward to her own fare share of goods. Regardless, Milan tried her best to keep her facial expression steady.
She remembered how her dad always use to say, “sometimes in life you gotta loose something before you realize you win it.”
  With that, Milan perked up, and continued onward, and after much time spent looking, they were finally able to find a vendor who sold a good amount of paper for relatively cheap.
Score.
-
 Although, it couldn’t be ignored that the whole situation did seem kind of strange.
Milan found herself really enjoying the company, but she couldn’t help the feelings of uneasiness regarding such level of trust with everyone. After all, they were strangers, ina world where strangers were demonized—and to top it off she gave up what she wanted for the greater good.. of the strangers.
Was she making the right decision?
Was she being stupid?
Or was it all an act out of the lack of company she received on a regular basis?
The familiar feeling of loneliness began to little by little consume her, although not apparent on her face.
Milan was distraught.
Sammich
Sammich

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:44 pm
After imposing his two cents into the conversation Aris took a physical and mental step back from the conversation. Alone in his thoughts he surveyed the market more, memorizing details. These details he would have to remember if this story became as heroic as he theorized. Before he'd come across these strangers he had been alone, it took a certain kind of writer to compose a one man show and Aris wasn't interested in making a play about himself. His life had been rather boring after all.

He much preferred to write about strangers and their adventures that he observed. His original search for paper was instigated by a brawl he had observed earlier. The cries and slurs being throw in the rabble, the story that unfolded and the final bloody conclusion.

Oh how Aris loved tragedy.

But tragedy was not what their world needed. In the fading light of humanity it was comedy that was needed. Much to Aris' chagrin. One day he promised himself he would write pieces that inspired laughter and a promise for a better world.

But for now the only inspiration were bar fights. Maybe that would change with his new muses.

Aris brought his head back down from the clouds and rejoined the conversation. The promise of paper sang off the mouth of Milan. He smiled wildly and reached to give her the paper he held only top find it had been snatched from his grasp some time ago. He had little concern, he couldn't read the document after all and trusted the stranger Milan (too) quickly to procure his end of the deal.

"Do not fear," The intent was to reassure the group, but the words seemed almost ominous aloud. "We will get what we came here for." He assured them with a smile.

--------------------

Aris' blinked owlishly at the tome in front of him. The paper Milan had secured for him was roughly bound together with twine, the mismatched sheets slightly varying sizes and colors. Some an aged yellow, some a fresher white. Aris ran his finger tips over the different textures.

And there he was content, he pulled out a pen from his satchel, scribbling on the paper and mindlessly following Milan and Kaylee through the Market.

Last edited by Sammich on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
DannyGirl~
DannyGirl~

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 pm
Keeping just enough ahead of the group to have some space, Nathan made sure to also stay within their visual range. Though it wasn’t for the sake of his safety, but rather theirs. Even from this distance, a few illusions and it wasn’t likely anyone would start something with his sister. While he cared a great deal least regarding the new comers, he’d step in on their behalf as well. After all they’d come together, meaning they should leave together as well. On top of that Milan had spent her whole evening bargaining away her personal salvage halls on behalf of Kaylee and Aris. While he didn’t necessarily support the idea, he had to admit that it established a certain level of trust.
Shaking his head slightly as he turned to the food booth at his side, the young man took Milan’s advice when speaking to the young woman. Though he had to admit that it was easier than he was expecting to convince her in his trade. Maybe she had trouble hunting. He usually traded at such stalls for spices during the daytime market. They needed the meat, and he needed materials to cook. It was a win win. Eventually heading back over to the group, Nathan handed the plate of food over to Milan without saying anything before taking a bite of his snack. He and Kaylee had already eaten, so this was the only small way he could think to repay the girl for her kindness. Kaylee had been bugging him for a motherboard for months.
While he still wasn’t sure of her motives, he didn’t feel right being indebted to her.
“Does anyone need anything else?” He finally questioned, tossing the stick aside once he claimed the meat off it. Then tossing his hands into pockets, the boy scanned around the market calmly. Thus far the group had avoided the inner ring of the market. The black market. However the further they traveled, the more his discomfort grew. That was something he never wanted to see again.
“I’m ready to head back.”

“You’re always such a buzz kill.” Kaylee huffed, before reluctantly nodding. She’d wanted to explore the entire market, but between the motherboard and scroll in her backpack she was too excited to wait much longer. This could be it. Her first success.
keya
keya

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Milan blinked as a response to Nathan handing her a plate of food. Unable to coerce herself into forming words of gratitude, she tilted her head; partly because she didn’t understand the gesture, and mostly because she hadn’t heard much from him the entire time—did he notice her looking upset?
Regardless, it didn’t really matter as soon as she realized she couldn’t stomach the food gifted to her.
She didn’t want to seem rude and reject his gesture—in case it meant something that she couldn’t comprehend, so she held onto it. It was particularly nice to hold anyway since it was warm.

Her eyes traveled from her hands to the others which soon caused a mindless smile to form onto Milan’s lips, as she meaninglessly watched their zoned-out expressions.
It felt nice, in a way which she couldn’t understand.

Very quickly, however, her eyebrows softly furrowed, leaving her to succumb to an overload of nostalgic emotions.
At that moment, while watching Kaylee, Aris, and Nathan, her life felt incredibly surreal.
They were simply standing still, yet she felt waves of motion pulling her back to moments in time where the colors of the earth were so vibrant it hurt her eyes.
The people in front of her, seemed to carry that same color—not in the midst of sight, but in the midst of emotion.
Again, it felt bittersweet.
As she returned back to her reality, a sudden urge to wrap her head around the minds of the people in front of her violently blossomed.
-
A flower was born
in the world where thorns were beauty,
and petals were poison

-
For the longest time, it was as if her world had been absent of the normalities of simple human commotion she was accustomed to before the world fell at its seams.
She didn’t realize how comforting it was, to have interaction, gratitude, and ironically uncomfortableness.
Inevitably, these thoughts led to her curiosity of if they would all remain in each other's lives, after the market excursion.

She was so completely out of the loop, that when Nathan abruptly exclaimed if they were ready to leave, her heartbeat accelerated.
It was extremely foreign to her, the feeling that was suddenly absorbed within her frame; which annoyed her in a sense, because she wanted to so desperately understand it.

She didn’t want to leave, because if she did she wouldn’t see them again, right?
She felt a certain warmth in her eyes well up, and the scenery before her blurred.
Tears didn’t fall, but in their expanse was an empty void.

Should she invite them to come to her home? There was more than enough space—
No, obviously not.
All of the logic pointed to no.
Milan swallowed the built-up tension in her throat and simply followed them outside in hopes that wherever she ended up was not by her lonesome.
Sammich
Sammich

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:33 pm
Aris silently sat beside them all, scratching away at the pages quietly. He documented the fight he'd witnessed before and he'd finally reached the ending which he had missed, afraid they would notice him observing and then he would become embroiled in the plot. He also feared he may be no good in a fight, not even a battle of words. Words were not a weapons, rather a tool. His hands followed his brain on the tangent it had taken, the story forgotten and his odd and simple bit of philosophy taking over.

Words are not weapons, rather tools to craft stories and convey meaning into the world. Sometimes they do hurt, as a poorly sharpened knife hurts it's wielder. But it is only ever out of good intention, the meal it is preparing, and poor execution, the mismanagement of the knife-

Suddenly Aris peaked his head up over the edge of his book, his train of thought forgotten. His dark eyes barely visible between the edge of the book and his white bangs, Aris bit his lip. Milan had a piping hot plate of food in her lap, the smell of the cooked meat was truly tantalizing. How long since he'd had something cooked? Too long. Fire brought trouble after all. Shyly he scooted closer to Milan.

"Miss Milan," he added the excessive politeness of the title in an attempt to sway her, "May I have some of that, it smells awfully good..." He eyes the kebabs unapologetically, the hole of hunger in his stomach seemed to open wide and whispers sweet threats of starvation to him the longer he stared.
DannyGirl~
DannyGirl~

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:53 pm
“Careful Milan, feed a stray and it will follow you home.” Kaylee whispered softly with a wink as the group began to head back. The thought of home bringing a smile to her face, as she finally had the last piece to her project. Today for sure. She even had some notes to help her, thanks to Aris. The lad was strange, and far from manly, though he’d proven himself to be useful enough.
“You aren’t funny.” Nathan sighed whilst pinching the bridge of his nose. His sister always tending to speak her mind, saying things that would make most uncomfortable. For some reason she never quite caught on to social cues. Rather, she hide away in her own imaginary definition of social convention. Always rambling on about her own plans and ideas, without paying mind to anyone else’s. Her selfishness played a key role in keeping them alive, however did earn her any points when it came to making friends. Had he left it alone she would’ve taken Aris’ papers without any kind of compensation.
Pausing for a moment, Kaylee snapped her fingers before smirking. “That’s because it’s not entirely true. Some strays would happily follow her home without payment.” She continued on while jabbing him in the side, before laughing as his complexion began to darken. It was way too easy to mess with him. “Can’t exactly take girls home when you’re babysitting every day of the year.” His retort caused a swift change in her mood. She hadn’t been expecting him to try to get under her skin in return. Usually he just silently took her jabs. “I don’t need a babysitter, and I am certainly not the reason you can’t snag a girlfriend!” She huffed in annoyance as their house once again came into view.
Relaxing slightly as she raced towards it in excitement, Kaylee slipped inside before rushing to the corner where a metal orb laid. This was finally it! “I’m very capable! You’ll see!” Grumbling under her breath as she dug through her bag, the young woman retrieved her two new items. The papers, and her motherboard. While it did take a while for her to decipher the pages writings, she was pleased to find that it did hold some valuable information. With this she could-
She swiftly set to work without so much as another thought. This time it’d work. She was sure of it. Taking a step back after careful installing the motherboard like the pages instructed, the blonde drew in a deep breath. “Come on!” She pleaded in a whisper, gently tapping the ball in anticipation. “Not this again-“
“Shhh!” Promptly cutting her brother off as he entered the room, the young woman’s eyes began to sparkle as the orb shook slightly. In that moment her heart seemed to stop. After all these years... Did she actually? Could it be? It became hard for her to breathe, and everything around her began to fade away. This could be her greatest accomplishment. The first of many, even. She might’ve really done it. “Amra?”
Derekjay2000
Derekjay2000

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:52 pm
All was dark at first, a state of dormancy that felt...odd? Something sparking inside urged it to begin to lighten. A prodding that sent the strange little orb to wobble a bit.

Slowly, the feeling of emptiness began to fade away as a internal light flickered on. A strange screen of information rolling down the center of its processing capabilities. Electric life began to flood it's system as the ball slowly twitched, and with a sharp click. Two robotic eyes opened. The eyes slowly dilated and opened, testing functions, before more clicking as it seemed to pop to life. The bottom half poped open to form two little legs, taking a few wobbly steps, the robot walked forward. Looking up, the robot looked over the two beings watching it intently as it was them. Suddenly the robots eyes brighten as it seemed to settle, a quick steady light flashing from its eyes. The scan complete, the robot made one final diagnostic check

"Hello!" A tiny voice came from the orb. Slight static behind the sound , but very much distinguishable. It's voice chipper, and if the robot had facial components, it would most likely be smiling "My name is Amra. It is so very nice to meet you!"
keya
keya

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:18 pm
-
Prequel
-
In the absence of common sense, there lays a rose petal—untouched and alone, atop a small mountain of gold.
The petal had no flower, yet it still shone, even in the expanse of illumination, of light, and it’s rest upon the bejeweled throne.
There it lay, through night and day,
yet even the most brilliant traveler who came across this conundrum, wouldn’t dare to disrupt it—whether through a whisper, whether through a hum. (1/2)
-
Scene
-
Milan closed her eyes, while inhaling deeply—then briefly paused, until she could feel the bandwidth of her lungs expand, but very quickly reach its limit.
As she let out a long-awaited breath, she attempted to clear her mind, by placing the emotional tangles around her chest, within her exhale.

It wasn’t worth ruining her night with anxious thoughts.

Instead of slowly opening her eyes like she wanted, she became very quickly conscious of her surroundings as soon as she felt a presence approach her—and to her liking it wasn’t a stranger, but Aris.
She missed what he had said, but her eyes traveled to his gaze—which was the very plate in her hand.
“Ahh! This—You want this?
You can have all of it, I’m not hungry!”
A short chuckle evaded from her mouth, as she watched the boy’s reaction, and Kaylee’s snarky comment.
“That’s okay, strays are always welcome. Come on Aris, give us your best meow!”

Milan was quite pleased with how fast the energy buzzed positively, and in that exact moment, she realized how much she hated being unreasonably negative. With a smile still laced to her lips, she obediently followed everyone as both Kaylee and Nathan led.

The chatters through the dim path ceased, as soon as the two leaders came to an abrupt stop in front of a familiar hut atop a metal-scrap ridden field.
The twins house?
As both Aris and Milan were gestured to come with, it very quickly turned into everyone watching Kaylee mess with her motherboard, blueprint and metal remnants.

Milan watched in curiosity, but soon was in speechless, utter shock.
After maybe almost an hour, she had developed some sort of bot, and once Kaylee finished, it actually began to whir with life.

Flabbergasted, Milan gawked back and forth from Kaylee, to the bot—until she broke the cycle by expressing her mangled thoughts.
“Kaylee!! OH MY GOD! It’s—alive?! You’re a freaking wizard!”
Milan quickly maneuvered her way towards the little thing, and poked it.

“Amra, what can you do?!”
Sammich
Sammich

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:30 pm
"Are you sure Miss Milan?" He said but his actions did not reflect that, he took the plate from her outstretched hands as they walked. Journal stashed in the crook of his elbow as he followed them mindlessly. He hadn't quite heard where they were going, but he didn't bother asking, he would know soon enough.

"A stray I may be Kaylee," He mused between bites, "But I'm a stray with a full belly and a place to put his thoughts-" He waxed poetically before stuffing his face more. He wasn't sure where they were going, or rather where he was headed but for now in this moment he was content.

That's when the ramshackled hut came into view. He finished his food and pulled out his journal again. Seemed the story would only keep developing.

"What is this..." He whispered to himself. Aris looked about the room and mused, wondering what stories the inside of their home told. "Cozy..." he whispered ominously.

He sat aside and watched a while, floating between the siblings and Milan. He was observing Nathan when Milan hollered from Kaylee's work space. He turned a keen eye to the suddenly animate hunk of steel and dark eyes were alight with wonder.

"Amra." He stated, staring, if not a little rudely.
DannyGirl~
DannyGirl~

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:17 pm
Nathan found himself at a loss for words. His sister had always tinkered with mechanics, but he’d never expected her to succeed. Yet he couldn’t deny her progress once the robot had introduced itself. “That’s right, you are!” As Kaylee squealed before tightly hugging the robot, her brother drew in a deep breath. This wasn’t good. They were living in the literal apocalypse, meaning something was more than likely to happen to ‘Amra’. Unfortunately Kaylee already seemed completely attached to the hunk of metal. “Come on guys, don’t-“ Attempting to work them as Milan piped up, Nathan sighed. Just what he needed. Now his sister confidence would be through the roof.

“A wizard, huh? It’s not quiteee magic Milan.” She retorted proudly, while leaning against her creation. “Just some math, a bit of science... Basic knowledge of mechanics-“ Raising a finger with each new point she addressed, Kaylee smile slowly grew wider. “Screw it, I am a wizard!” Cheering as her attention turned back to Amra, the girl pulled a rag out of her side pouch before beginning to clean her. “Amra make note that this is your birthday, that’s important. Also, give me a run down of which of your functions are operational.”

Turning back to help brother with a smirk, she then proclaimed proudly. “I would die for Amra. I’m such a proud mother!”

The boy immediately facepalmed in reply, leaving a bright red mark. Taking in a deep breath, he decided to leave things be. This was on her now. He’d stressed out enough for the day. So he took a seat, lazily leaning back against an old couch cushion. “You have fun with that.”

“I will!- And Aris quit staring it’s rude.”
Derekjay2000
Derekjay2000

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:52 pm
Amra steadily looked between the now gathering group of creatures: 'Multiple human beings' Amra made a quick note of the faces and names registering them.

The bot had very little time to adjust to everything before suddenly getting poked and prodded at. "Birthday registered!" Amra confirmed at her creators request. After being released from Kaylee's embrace, the robot's eyes flashed periodically while nuzzeling against the cleaning rag. Turning it's attention towards the others Amra decided the most efficient thing to do was to run diagnostics and awnser Milan's earlier question "Hello! My name is Amra!" It repeated, it's eyes projecting a grid onto them "Scanning, functional! I can scan and recognize all kinds of organic and inorganic materials" Lights dying of it quickly began to constrict into a ball, before popping back up and hopping "Motor controls, functional!"

Amra paused as it looked up at Milan, "That are my functions! I scan, walk, and roll!" She took a glance down at her legs then back up at Milan "Oh! And I guess I can do this too" She then proceeded to hop from one little foot to the other, she danced around in a circle before once again pausing and looking up at them expectantly.
keya
keya

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:02 pm
“Jeez Nathan did Kaylee get all the big iq cells in the womb?” Milan jokingly provoked him, noticing that he’d been quiet the entire time.
Was he not impressed by his sister’s creation?
Whatever it may have been, Milan’s focus quickly shifted back to Amra, as she continued to perform on demand.
“Kaylee, Amra is going to make my heart melt what have you done?! She even dances!” she stated, as she dramatically clenched her chest.

Milan was completely engrossed, so much so, that she couldn’t wrap her mind around the raw intellect Kaylee was emanating.
In order to bring a fully functional bot to life, she had to understand the blueprints, which required skills that were lost in the decimated earth in which they previously inhabited.
It was extremely impressive, and in a way symbolic.
-
lost in time,
the clock strikes nine—
the newborn becomes
a silver skyline

-
Milan felt so utterly contempt in that moment, it was almost as if she had forgotten how sublime it was to have company; and to be able to discover parts of life she had forgotten about.
In her world that had progressed like clockwork, there had finally been a change—and she wanted it to stay that way. However, this time instead of loathing in self-pity, Milan was overwhelmed with a inclination to support the people before her.
There was no way Milan could go back to her home without offering shelter to her newly discovered friends—her home was definitely spacious enough to house them all.
But would it be foolish to do so?

Regardless, she went with her gut feeling, and with a short deep breath she motioned everyone together.
“I have a proposal, are you guys ready for this?”
Sammich
Sammich

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:27 pm

Aris drew his note pad close to his face. For once he was lacking the words to describe the invention before him. At Kaylee's urges he muttered an apology to Amra for staring but he continued as he drew a quick sketch of the being before him. The lines of his sketch walked a fine line between being messy and defining space. The finished product vaguely resembled Amra's shape, but to Aris' dismay did not cover the essence of her motion or the cheery demeanor she had adopted. He scratched in a few lines he planned to rework later.

The gentle hands of a

He stopped, remembered how Kaylee had thrown him around in the woods upon their meeting and crossed out the word gentle.

The rough hands of a sprightly being creates a life, her personality mirrored in it's own heart. Will it be coarse in it's enthusiasm like it's creator? Or gentle?

Aris scratches his head, the use rhetorical question in the line frustrates him but it is the best he can think of in the moment.

He turns his attention back to the people in the room, frowning slightly he turned to Milan as she ushered them in.

"A proposal? Miss Milan I am sorry I'm already married to my work."
DannyGirl~
DannyGirl~

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:42 pm
While Kaylee awed at every movement Amra made, Nathan laid back and closed his eyes. He took deep breathes in through his nose, before slowly releasing them through his mouth. Every breath reminding him to remain relaxed. Today had been full of stressful surprises, but this was his specialty. If he failed to stay calm and levelheaded, they could die. Kaylee could die. That was something he couldn’t let happen. She wouldn’t be let down again. Slowly turning his gaze to meet Milan’s as she called to him, Nathan sighed in response to her taunt. So this was the type of person she was. He’d wager that she was no more mature than Kaylee. “Could be. She’s always been extremely self centered, and selfish. Sounds like something she’d do.” He finally reply with a shrug, much to his sister’s dismay.
“Hey, you take that back! I am not!” Huffing as she took a step towards her brother, Kaylee paused as Amra began to dance. Immediately the thought of reprimanding her brother had vanished, as she was completely engrossed by her invention. “Amazing! I didn’t even specifically program a dancing feature!... I don’t think.” Glancing back over to the blueprints, the young woman shrugged. Honestly, she hadn’t understood everything on the scroll. Just enough to make things work. So it was completely possible that she had indeed programmed such a feature unbeknownst to her.
Placing a hand to her chin as she continued to ponder the concept, Kaylee finally noticed Aris scribbling wildly against his new notepad. Allowing curiosity to get the better of her, she slowly maneuvered to his side before standing on her tiptoes to get a peek. What she found surprised her, a sketch of her invention. Did he appreciate it too then? It was hard to tell, as she could hardly see anything on the page to begin with, but it seemed so. A proud smile laced her gaze once more, until Milan suddenly called for the group’s attention. A proposal?
“Why would she want to marry all three of us?” Kaylee countered at Aris’ quick reply, her eyebrows knit with confusion. “For once I agree with her. You should get yourself a girlfriend, mate. It might help you understand women, at least a little. No man will ever truly understand them.” Realizing that Aris wasn’t the type to truly care, hence his earlier comment, Nathan decided to put things in perspective for him. “It’ll help you... Write female characters... You’re writing a book, right?” Usually he wouldn’t have cared if the boy had any social skills, however he had a feel the bookworm was going to be hanging around them for a while. He’d rather not have any unnecessary misunderstandings, or inconveniences.
“Yes, you’re clearly one to talk.” Kaylee stated sarcastically while rolling her eyes, earning a sigh from the boy.
There was still no use arguing with her.
She was too stubborn for her own good.
For now he’d focus in on the subject at hand.
“What’s the proposition?” He asked the newcomer, no longer in the mood to refer to her by a nickname. Aside from Aris, and Amra if ‘she’ counted, Nathan was at his wits ends with everyone in the room. Between Kaylee’s antics and Milan’s attempt to provoke him, he was tired. It was definitely time for bed in his book.
keya
keya

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:34 pm
Milan covered her lips with the tips of her fingers, in attempts to cover the source of the sudden giggle.
“Oh my goodness, we wouldn’t want to take you from your work Aris now would we?” She chirped, almost mockingly.

“All jokes aside, here’s my proposal!
This might sound really crazy so bear with me here guys, but what would you think about all of us moving over to my residence?
I know, I sound like a creep, but I swear I mean it with best intention. It’s far safer, and more spacious—in fact there’s 3 separate rooms and a kitchen! Oh, And Aris! My father’s room has a desk and everything so you can write all you want.”
Milan quickly gazed towards Nathan and Kaylee, then finally at Amra.
“I mean especially since now there’s a plus one, is there enough space in this hut?”
Milan excitedly bounced around what she deemed logical points, but was so excited she didn’t realize she could have possibly came off offensive.
“If Amra becomes upgraded, she will require even more space right? Also constantly staying up at night guarding your hut is a stress we could all live without in this day and age, right Nathan?
The only thing we’d really have to worry about is food, cause I can’t cook. I can make a mean pie though if that counts though!” She stated with a sheepish smile.
“But I also understand if you guys aren’t comfortable with it.”

Milan gazed at everyone excitedly as she awaited their responses.
Sammich
Sammich

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:59 pm
Aris smiled with pride at everyone’s responses to his joke. Though sometimes his social queues were off he had his shining moments. Talking and writing dialogue were two very different things. He frowned at Nathan’s suggestion.

“Nathan, you seem a natural older brother type.” He stared at the other man owlishly, “Or some may say, a natural worrier. Do not worry for me friend, I am not lonely with my pages. There are always people to watch and people to learn from. But I could never dream of dedicating myself to a woman. For if I loved her truly she is all I would be able to write about, I feel it is the only way I could properly express my affection, and I would write all day and all night about nothing but her so she may know how I feel but I fear she would feel neglected...” his musing winds down. “Oh that was good I have to write it down.”

Aris begins scribbling again. Barely looking up as Milan gives her proposal.

“Miss Milan, your generosity is- so grand. I do not have a home or return to, I have been living on foot for many years. Gathering stories and such. I would be delighted to stay at your home, however I am not wealthy and am not interested in overstaying my welcome. So perhaps for a few nights I would be willing to do so.”
DannyGirl~
DannyGirl~

Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:34 pm
“Natural worrier, huh? That’s fair.” Nathan sighed while gently running a hand along his forehead. He needed to relax more, before he gave himself wrinkles. Having deep wrinkles in his early 20’s would make it hard to find a girl and settle down... If Kaylee ever calmed enough to allow him the simple life he desired that was. Call him old fashioned, but all he wanted to do was work a simple 9 to 5. Come home at the end of the day to his loving wife, and three adorable children. He didn’t really care weather or not he had girls or boys, but one of each sounded nice. Of course living in a post apocalyptic society did really allow for his way of life. Old traditions were dying, along with humanity itself.
Turning back to the group as Milan officially made her proposal, Nathan slowly raised an eyebrow as she addressed him specifically. She knew of a stable housing complex, that didn’t require a night watch? Did such a place exist? Everyone who found it was sure to try and steal it... They’re weren’t many buildings left after all. Nor architects to make new ones. Everyone was on their own. He was going to address his concerns, but hesitated as she spoke of her father’s desk. This was her home then... Before the world had fallen to ashes. To offer to share such a place with strangers was unbelievable, and yet she seemed so excited. Perhaps he’d be too harsh in his quick assumptions of her. If she was truly by herself, of course she’d be lonely. Her immature tauntings were more than likely cries for attention. After all, he had Kaylee to keep him company. Annoying or no, he imagined it’d be pretty hard to remain sane with no one to converse with regularly. “...I can cook, but I don’t think you release the offer your making. If you really have such a safe haven, it’d be smarter to keep its location to yourself for as long as possible.”
His gaze turned to Kaylee, who immediately shook her head. A response that genuinely surprised him. “What? Why would you-“
“We can’t leave! I’m not done with all many inventions, and the biggest one is immovable!” She quickly protested, immediately earning a facepalm from her brother. “Not this again.” His sighed caused her blood to boil. It was always like this. He never believed in her. Just because she’d be little when her parents died, he assumed she couldn’t remember her father’s work. Or any of the things he’d taught her for that matter. Just because he couldn’t remember them. “You’re acting like I haven’t already proven myself, but I have!” Kaylee protested adamantly while gesturing to the robot in front of her. “Amra do the dance again! That’ll show him!” She insisted while kneeling down to hug her. However Nathan merely sighed once more.
“You’ve already admitted programming that was unintentional. It true that you had a success today, but if that robot malfunctions and stops working we’re no worse off for it. Building a spaceship that malfunctions would be a completely different story-“ Nathan tried to reason with her, only to be cut off once more. “Her name is Amra! And I for one would be devastated if she malfunctioned!”
“Kaylee do you even hear yourself? I know you’re proud of your invention, but you can’t keep referring to it as if it’s human. Something is more than likely to happen to it, and you shouldn’t-“
“Stop it! You’re not being fair to her! I won’t let anything happen!” Of all the argument, Nathan could tell that was when Kaylee became truly upset. So he fell silent. This was a good offer, great even... But if he kept fighting against his sister she’d never agree to come. He had to compromise, even if she was being unreasonable. “...What if we went with them, but I brought you back here during the day to work on your ship. I’ll even help you find more parts.”
“You’ll take me to the midnight market?!” Excitement immediately replaces the anger in her gaze, though it died nearly as soon as it surfaced.
“No, I’ll help you salvage some things for the surrounding area like we’ve been doing. The shell of your ship is nearly complete, I suppose it’d be a waste of countless hours to abandon it.”
“But there are things we could find at the midnight market so much faster, it’d be-“
“No.” He repeated once more, this time firmly.
His stubbornness on the issue pushing his sister into the realm of annoyance once more. “Why not? We went today, and nothing happened! And why go through all the trouble of coming back here every day? There’s no reason to leave! We’re fine-“
“Kaylee this hut is falling apart! One day it will collapse, and when that happens it could crush yo-“ This time he cut himself off. She’d never listen to that. Kaylee had too much faith in the places they’d survived once. Assuming they were automatically safe from then on. But maybe, he could put things in perspective... Twist his concerns to something she would care about. “A-Amra. They could crush Amra... I thought you’d vowed to protect... Her... Come on Kaylee, if we can find a safer place to live we move. That’s how it’s always been. Plus your spaceship shell is in the back yard, and immovable as you already acknowledged. So it won’t be lost if the house does collapse, and no one could dream of stealing it.”
That was it. The last semi sensible argument he could muster. He watched as Kaylee gaze slowly fell to the robot she embraced, before she reluctantly nodded and stood. “...You’re right, I need to keep the safety of Amra in mind.” She then turned to Milan before offering her a slightly forced smile. “If you don’t mind having all three of us, then I suppose it’s the best option we have. Traveling here every day to work on my ship sounds... Tiring, but it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make for my daughter.”
Nathan let out a silent sigh of relief from behind his sister. Somehow that had worked. “I’ll go pack our things.” He announced softly, before returning a short time later. “We’re good to go.”
Patting Aris on the back as he stood beside him, Nathan slowly smiled. “It’ll be nice to have another man around. I look forward to getting to know you over the next few days. Hopefully you’ll spare my some time to talk, in between your writing sessions of course.”
keya
keya

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:16 pm
Milan’s backpack was half the size of her, bejeweled with pink and purple rhinestones.
She made sure to always match it with her tiny princess shoes, which made a distinct flop wherever she’d go. Her mother always jokingly teased that she’d never get lost because of the unmistakable noise they made.

The door to her home, was the thing little Milan adored the most—primarily because it meant she could finally talk to the people she loved. Her family, and her family’s workers.
One of the them in particular, was a teenager (at the time) by the name of Rose.

She was Milan’s favorite, mostly because she thought Rose was some kind of princess, as some of her father's desserts were named after her. It seemed so logical, that a princess would be the name of her mother’s favorite flower.
Sometimes Milan would lie about her middle name being Rose, since she admired it so much. One of Rose’s traits which led to her glorification, was how she would always show interest in Milan’s artistic pursuits.

Having a princess work at the shop, in Milan’s eyes was the most accomplishing thing her father had achieved. The only reason that made sense in Milan’s eyes as to why Rose was working there, was strictly so that she would perfect the art of making sweets, so she would eventually win over her prince charming. Milan made sure to watch her techniques, so that she would get a prince charming too—being a princess was very appealing.

Milan had a habit of flaunting crafts she’d make at school to anyone she could possibly bother, which mind you, she’d have to decode since it only made sense to her. However, if it was her father, she would talk about some new letters of the alphabet she’d learned to write, he fancied her academics, and like any good father he wanted Milan to live a life in which she didn’t have to struggle.
In his eyes, she was the best thing that had ever happened to him and his wife.

Little Milan loved to talk, but what she loved more was eating the leftover sweets at the end of the day, and as time progressed, she’d learn to make them too.

“No worries Aris! There’s no such thing as overstaying your welcome, please stay as long as you need to.”
A warm smile stretched ear to ear, as Milan was happy to finally have commotion within her home.

Her attention quickly shifted towards the source of Nathan’s response.
Quite honestly, she was confused by his contradictory statement—she didn’t know if the connotation of his admittance to cookery meant he was agreeing to, or declining her offer.

Admittedly, somewhere inside of her Milan understood the foolishness of her actions, yet the desire for companionship overwhelmed her sense of practicality.
In her mind, even if the people before her turned out to be untrustworthy—or even dangerous—she wouldn’t mind losing what she had.
Up until that very moment, Milan had lived every day looking forward to the next, and quite frankly she was tired of it.
That wasn’t the quality of life she enjoyed, so exposing her safe-haven was a risk she was willing to take.
She didn’t expect anyone to understand why.

Much to Milan’s surprise, albeit after heavy compromise, the twins agreed to reside alongside her and Aris.
Exuberant wasn’t quite the word which described her state, however, Milan tried her best to maintain composure—even if her facial expression failed to comply.

Un-purposefully, a genuine smile flowered within the gleam of her eyes. No word or demeanor could accurately depict the contempt warmth which was now spread throughout her chest.
“I’m so happy. I can't wait to have everyone over!”

After they were all ready to depart, Milan made sure to explain to Nathan how her home was undetectable, while also explaining the best route to get to their hut since they’d make daily trips back.

Milan wondered if she could succeed in secretly getting parts for Kaylee on her own, since Nathan refused to permit it.

As they walked towards her home, Milan grew increasingly beatific.
She was excited for the new change of pace.
Derekjay2000
Derekjay2000

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:22 pm
The little robot looked around aimlessly, having just awoken to the world barely even an hour ago, it was suffice to say it had no clear idea of what was going on. Amra tiled it's body as it scanned everyone in the room, they seemed so fixated on itself and it didn't know why.

Unsure of its purpose, it resigned itself to looking about and scanning. Until it's gaze fell on the human, Kaylee, her creator she noted in her databank. She had instructed her to dance, before embracing Amra, "Miss Kaylee, I can't preform a function if I cannot mo-" she tried to voice in, but the inevitable back and fourth between the siblings confused her more. "There is no need to worry, I'm working optimally at 97%" During the argument she made vital notes, such as Nathan's and Kaylee's contrasting desires. And another was...

'you can’t keep referring to it as if it’s human. "It" equals Amra, Amra equals...nor human.' Registering all of the info, Amra paid little head to the group until it eventually came time to go somewhere. Bring it's body in on itself, Amra rolled after the group alongside Kaylee.
Derekjay2000
Derekjay2000

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:14 pm
[The cover of distance]
A car, or what one could assume was such slowly lumbered to a halt. The door swung open as a short, rotund man stepped out of the vehicle "Turn the damn thing off already, would ya!" He hollered as he slammed his fist on the hood, "You know how much trouble gas is to get!?" His glare turned into a sour smirk as the cars engine died off. Another man stepped out of the driver seat, unlike his boss who was dressed extremely well for the times, he was dressed up in a ramshackle outfit that gave off a threatening aura of who they were. Pulling out a pair of binoculars, 'Rockefeller' held them up to his eyes as he scanned over the horizon. "Now, what do the waste have for us today?" His chubby face slowly began to twist into a smile, "I spy with my little eye...a group of worms far too interested in robot parts..."

Richard Rockefeller, an infamous name in the Midnight Market, the leader of a gang of bandits and thugs. With many eyes on the market, it was inevitable that some group randomly buying robot parts would escape his interest. "And there it is...damn, I love when I'm right" his eyes were glued on the robot with a satisfied smile. "Release Hound 1!" Dropping the binoculars, he barked out a harsh command as the driver went to the back of the car, opening the back of it revealed iron bars, and a reinforced interior, sitting inside was a young man with his hands bound by clunky cuffs. The container opened as he hopped out of the car, carrying an equally clunky briefcase. He didn’t say much as his cobalt eyes glared towards Richard, "You see that group there over yonder?" He asked, not bothering expecting a response, his dog was trained well enough at this point. "They have with them some valuable little bot, I want it" the bound man was about to set off, but was stopped as Richard held up a finger "And Caleb, more than that little ball...I want who made it, understood? Don't worry about killing whoever ya need" dropping his hand, he made smiled smugly, "Be a good dog, and sic em!" With a sharp whistle, the bandit began running off as Richard began to pack his things up.

[A little while later]
The wandering party walked ahead, and slowly in the distance a lone figure approached them. Slowly coming to a halt, Caleb scanned over the group, 'Two women, two men, and one robot' he frowned slightly as he waited for them to come to attention. His hands were still bound as he carried held his luggage, the coat hanging from his shoulders bellowing with the breeze, "Well now, not many people come around these parts often. Even fewer having as such valuable cargo either..." he eyed the little robot looking back at him curiously, "The names Caleb, I'd tip my hat...but I both lack a hat, and my hands are tied up as you can see. That's impressive for something made from some salvage. Though, my job isn't to discern the merchandise."

Glaring up at the group, he tilted his head a bit in an inquisitive manner, "don't suppose you'd be willing to give me that thing?" He asked, he always asked. He tried to take the easiest route possible, but...in the end Caleb knew it was never that easy, the figurative blood on his hands spoke volumes on that. "I'd love to get this over with without too much of a fuss? I can't imagine any of you made it, right?"
DannyGirl~
DannyGirl~

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:08 pm
On their way to Milan’s home, Nathan was surprised by her efforts to fill him in on everything concerning the house. It’s condition, location, and even the best routes to and from their old house. All the details were appreciated more than he let on, and helped set him at ease. “It sounds lovely, Milady.” His posture has finally relaxed, and he no longer carried a tone of annoyance when conversing with the young woman. Partially due to her efforts, and partially because it was hard to stay angry with the first girl he’d become acquainted with in 4 or 5 years. On top of that she was a pretty girl... Though she also seemed to be aware of that. Seemed to have some type of mixed Asian lineage, which might’ve been interesting to talk about before the world fell to ruins. Not it hardly mattered where you care from. Speaking of it would just remind you of the ashes that now replaced it.
“I didn’t express myself very clearly earlier, but I am grateful for your kindness. Shelter is rare now a days... So I thought it was only fair to warn you against sharing it.” His hands laced back behind his head as they walked. It was pretty late at night, far passed the markets opening hour. They’d probably only have a few hours of rest before the sun came up. However, despite his lack of sleep, he was rather chipper. The promise of a safe place for his sister carrying his spirits amidst the darkened quiet forest.
That was until he appeared.
Kaylee turned to meet the sound of an unfamiliar, yet calm voice. His overly causal mannerisms sparkly contrasting his words. Valuable cargo? A thief then? Glancing down to his hands as he mentioned being tied up, her emerald eyes widened as she realized he was tell the truth. Suddenly she didn’t know what to make of the strange young man. Was he seeking help? No, if that was the case there’s no way he’d be this calm. Then what-? Immediately stepping in front of her ‘child’ as the man requested it, Kaylee’s gaze hardened as she locked eyes with him. “Why on Earth would we give you her?! Do you even hear yourself-?”
“Kaylee what are you thinking!” Immediately reaching forward to pull his sister behind him, he then nodded to Milan to follow in suit. Aris was probably capable of watching over himself.
“Hey, wait!” Having programmed Amra to stay at her side, Kaylee watched in relief as she followed before dropping to her knees and hugging the boy protectively. “Amra scan that man, and stay far away from him!” She ordered before looking back to the stranger before them. “What’s it to you?” While it was obviously bait, the assumption still bothered her. No one believed in her abilities apparently.
“Kaylee that’s enough, you’re not going to get hurt over a hunk of metal.” Nathan scowled in a whisper, both hands now placed on his duel blades.
“She’s not a hunk of metal! And he can’t have her-!”
“I know! Quiet down!” Nathan grimaced, his gaze still locked with the man. “Look here mate, I’m not sure why you want his hunk of junk but it’s not for sale... So if you don’t mind we’ll all be taking our leave.”
Sammich
Sammich

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:41 am
Ars nodded at Milan. She was very kind, offering her home not only to people she had just met but for an indeterminate amount of time. He did not express this aloud but he agreed within himself he would only stay as long as he himself felt comfortable. A nomadic lifestyle was all he’d ever known, for sure one day he would grow restless. Or maybe he was getting to an age, one were the time spent on the road begins to drag at your energy and a safe place to lay your head every night is more valueabke than any traveling experience. He would have to see.

And so they walked, Aris clutched his new pad of papers under one arm, already summarizing the new development in his notes. He watched his chattier companions go back and forth, not really paying mind to the focus of their topic. They suddenly fell silent and still, Aris almost ran into. His gaze cast ahead and he saw the stranger.

One stranger did not seem like a fuss, especially on talking so calm. But Kaylee’s reaction set a tension in his back. Danger.

As Nathan urged the girls begs him Aris began a common practice. If he was ever in a particularly bad situation his powers could be used to help him slip away undetected. Moving forward to stand beside Nathan, Aris’ eyes went wide. His dark glazed over with a milky color, as if he had gone blind. And from the trees around them a dense fog crept forth. It rose up from the ground beneath his feet. It obscured them from the sight of the stranger. Aris stood still in his trance, making the cloud of mist grow every second.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum