Team Kios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
DannyGirl~
DannyGirl~

Character Analysis- Jove Empty Character Analysis- Jove

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:06 pm
Whether you’re an Edge of Nothingness veteran or new to the franchise, it’s hard to properly understand an entirely character driven plot line without considering one vital question. Why have the main characters banded together? What are the said characters goals? Is there a strong narrative point forcing each and every individual to learn, and grow throughout their journey? To properly mold them into the heroes that each of us hold near and dear to our hearts?
In this particular roleplay, each and every one of those questions can be answered by a single entity.
Jove Vermilion.
As the main villain throughout both EoN 1, and EoN 2, Jove is the literal path of opposition within the storyline. Creating stakes that are more than terrifying enough to be taken seriously, from his very introduction. What are these stakes? The very real threat of forfeiting both their own lives, and their entire world, to his personal envisionment of a renewal for humanity. Leaving each individual hero no choice, but to fill their retrospective rules in an effort to stop him.
While this may sound like an overly simplified retelling of the heroes tale, I’d argue that it is the unique characters themselves that built EoN to be the giant it is today. A beloved namesake of our group, Team Kios.
Which is why I’m starting this hero analysis series, to finally dissect each of these characters and discuss what makes them so great.
Of course none of these championed heroes would’ve existed had they not answered the call, coming from that of Jove himself. So it’s only fair that we attribute the first thread to the one who started it all. The brilliantly executed villain who lead the plot from the beginning of EoN 1, all the way to EoN 2. A task which took four years to complete.
Hats off of to the man himself, this one's for you Jove.

One of the key aspects of Jove’s character to take into consideration when breaking him down to a fundamental level is that of his lineage. As a demigod, there was an internal feud residing with him from the moment he was born. Someone torn between two worlds, when truly fitting into neither. In the beginning he seemed to favor humanity, blessing them with their magical abilities. A form elemental bending referred to as Senshitsu.
However over his many millennials of existence, this sense of fondness began to wain. What once sparked his interest in humanity began to conflict more and more with other aspects of it. War, violence, and selfishness were all things the demigod hadn’t considered when giving the masses inherently unique and powerful Senshitsu. After unnumbered decades of watching the race tear themselves apart, and misuse his gift, Jove had had enough.
It was time for change.
As he grew to more closely identify to his heavenly heritage, the half human’s heart began to wax cold against his kin. He then took it into his own hands to bring about what he desired. To ‘save’ the old values and characteristics of humanity he had loved, by wiping its fallen state in its entirety. Only then could he start anew. Creating a newer, more divinely driven, version of humanity. There would no longer be wars or conflict, only peace and undying joy. They would be his greatest masterpiece. The race that could accomplish the lifestyle it’s predecessor could not.
However his hope of finally creating that beautifully pictured humanity weren’t as truly cemented as he claimed. Rather than simply destroying humanity as a whole, and then starting the new race, Jove gave humanity a chance to step in. Whether physically, mentally, or emotionally, he didn’t seem to care. He simply wanted to give them a chance. Both to defend themselves, and to change his mind.
This singlehandedly forges the plot for both roleplays.
It’s the quest the heroes must embark on, the call that must be answered.

This instability also presents itself in Jove through unpredictable mood swings that make it quite challenging to rationalize with the demigod. While he may be willing to hear you out in the beginning of an encounter, that does ensure that he’ll pay you mind all the way through. By the end of your presented case he may have long lost interest, and then attempt to kill you or wipe out a nearby unsuspecting nearby villain. Of course the reverse sinario also happened numerous times. What’s most interesting about this mindset is that it remained unchanged even after his final defeat in EoN 2. Persisting well into EoN 3 from as early as his introduction. Confirming that despite the heroes success, his scars remain on a psychological level. The weight carried when being a god among men, but a man among gods.

Jove is truly one of his kid in EoN.

The only one of his kind.

Only a few distinct individuals came close to representing similar traits to his own, his family. Through the series it’s evident how often he attempted to cling to them. To be accepted and praised by them. This is arguably most evident in his interactions involving his love interest. Adrienne, the reencarnation of his wife, was a gift given to him by his mother Thea. Made, rather than born, to perfectly reflect what his mother believed he needed. While it lead to a perfect relationship in her first life, it also brought about a possessive and abusive relationship once she was reborn. Now free to learn, grow, and change without Jove’s influence, Adrienne became her own person. Similar to her past self, though no longer fitting the exact shell.
This is shown to bother Jove on multiple occasions, though it’s especially apparent in the beginning. When he first discovered her Jove refused to address Adrienne by her name, instead insisting upon addressing her as that of her past life. He reminisces about her and what they originally had quite often, and attempts to convince her that it’d be better for her to revert to her old ways once more. Giving him back his perfect relationship, with a woman who never crossed Jove in even the slightest way. To embrace her divine heritage, and forsake the parts of her learned in humanity. However he slowly comes to realize that things will no longer be the same between them, because she doesn’t want them to be. While her feelings for him are still evident, so is her new sense of individuality.
While he appears to silently and begrudgingly accept this over time, it forces him to once again question himself. Where does he belong? Who does he belong with? Despite accepting Adrienne as his partner once more his treatment towards her grows detached, and he rarely shows the same excitement over her as he previously did. This subtle detachment also explains him cheating on her in EoN 3. While I would argue that he loves her, he simply can’t accept change. In any form. Not with humanity, nor with his family. Which brings us to his children.
Originally he seemed quite welcoming towards Iskios and Sehun, however it is only out of the relationship they had shared in their past lives. (Notice a pattern?) Going so far as to kill Sehun’s birth family, Jove desperately clings to those who one accepted him. His entire plan to reset humanity reflects his desire to be surrounded by others like him. A last stitch effort to belong, and act how he pleases without being in the wrong. Of course Sehun supported him for a time, but after learning the truth of his birth parents he rejected Jove completely.
From this perspective the arguably rushed ending of Eon was actually quite beautiful.
Consider this, in the last battle it was Jove against everyone.
Iskios had never joined him, Sehun had left him, and even his beloved Adrienne refused to step in.
They all left him to fight alone, meaning in order to recreate his perfected version of humanity he’d have to kill them all too.
While they may have been easy for a god, at the end of the day it’s his half human side that won out.

Alex always argued that Jove had a god complex, though in my mind it was so much more than that. He is a god after all, I’m not sure if you can call it a complex at that point.

Jove feared change, and craved acceptance. Hence why he when so far to create an unchanging and peaceful race. A race like humanity, but perfected.

He wanted others like himself.

Aside from his overall plot, his battles were thrilling, entertaining, and engaging. They also stand out as nearly his only means of interacting with the rest of the cast, yet expressed so much of his character seemingly flawlessly. While the final battle isn’t what Alex had wanted it to be, I truly do think it’s quite logical when given the reasonings above.

I love all the EoN characters with all my heart, and Jove is certainly no exception.

But these are just my thoughts, what are yours?

Let me know what you think of my analysis, and give me your own! Let’s have fun with this!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum